Thoughts about school environments and mental health and things under the cut.
Finally have my PhD school list narrowed down to a reasonable number! Six schools, three top-tier programs and three mid-level programs. Now I just need to actually do the application process. Hooray for advisers that actually spend time advising their students!
And now, nearly five months after I defended my first thesis, I’m finally writing the prospectus.
In my defense, my adviser informed me I didn’t need a proposal. I assumed since she was the head of the department that she was correct. New adviser who actually advises has informed me of the error of my ways.
This is even less fun than the actual thesis was to write.
Safe journey! There’s going to be a street festival at TIFF this year; no idea how good it will be, but it may be worth checking out. I’ll be going to one film tomorrow and that’s it. Not enough stamina to wait for rush tickets to The Imitation Game
Thanks! :) I’ve got tickets for a show on Saturday and one on Sunday morning, and I’m going to spend some time at the Toronto Library’s Conan Doyle collection on Monday, as well. I really wanted to see Imitation Game but they put it on the ONE day I couldn’t get out of class. Alas.
Well, I managed to finish my writing sample this morning, but in the process I accidentally slept through my class. Which is awkward because I wanted to ask said professor to write me a letter of rec for phd apps.
Alas. Hopefully next week will be better. In the meantime, getting ready to go to TIFF for the first time and spending the weekend with thatlowvice!
apinae-admin replied to your post: profriversongarchaeologist said:2…
I didn’t know you wrote fics?!! This is wonderful!!!
I do indeed! There’s a link to my ao3 hidden on my sidebar, but otherwise you could just do a search - I use the same name there. And thanks :D
galtori replied to your post: Whoa Suddenly I’m Being Tagged in Things
AHAHAHAHAHA! I ALREADY DID IT!!!! *victory dance*
Curses! Foiled again!
2 options for fic prompt: 1) John was supposed to speak at Hamish's school but he can't so Sherlock must do it instead, against John's better judgement OR 2) Lestrade was supposed to speak at a school and had something come up and since Sherlock owed him for something he regretfully agrees. Both: mayhem ensues
I didn’t forget about these, either. What I did forget is that I was going to be out of town/driving for the entire weekend right after I asked for ficlet prompts. So, they’re coming slowly while I procrastinate on my writing sample. Ficlet prompts ARE still being accepted because why not.
In retrospect, it really shouldn’t have surprised him to come home and find Sherlock on the sofa with three different ice packs on his face. At least Hamish seemed fine, idly doing his maths homework at the cluttered kitchen table and fighting back laughter at John’s expression.
"Do I even want to know? It was career day, Sherlock, how did you mess up career day this badly?”
"I couldn’t help it, John. I can’t just turn it off like a faucet."
"No, when Hamish asked you to come because he thought ‘consulting detective’ was cooler than ‘blogger’" (John ignored the affirmative-sounding mumble from the couch) "you promised you would behave."
"I believe the phrase I used was ‘I won’t deduce any of the other parents or children without due cause.’ I had due cause."
"That’s…Sherlock, how did….no. Hamish, what happened?" The boy looked up from his multiplication tables with a very Sherlockian smirk.
"He told the whole class that Mrs. Peterwood was having an affair with Mr. Summers AND Mrs. Ames."
"For God’s sake, Sherlock."
"And then," Hamish continued, barely suppressing his obvious glee, "he informed everyone that Mr. Trevor wasn’t actually an Air Force fighter pilot, he’s just a janitor."
And John should have given Sherlock such a reaming out. He should have informed the idiot that deducing their son’s classmates’ parents was not on in any circumstances. He should have told Sherlock he bloody deserved what looked like two black eyes and a potentially broken nose.
But in the end, he just couldn’t do it.
"I can’t help noticing that these parents happened to share last names with the group of children that have been making fun of Hamish on the playground for the past few weeks."
"Utterly coincidental, I assure you," Sherlock informed him with a smug, almost predatory grin.
"Was all of it true, at least?"
"Of course. I wouldn’t cause our son’s tormentors lasting embarrassment with lies. Takes the fun out of it."
"Right then. Angelo’s?"
I’m going to spread them out a bit so you don’t just get a deluge of info about me, yeah?
Alright, first one -
I was tagged by the wonderful fffinnagain, so you’re going to learn things about me! Wooooo!.
Rules: Just insert your answers to the questions below & tag at least 10 followers
- Name: Emily. I don’t really like it all that much but eh.
- Nickname: Oh goodness. I mean, the normal one is Em, and I will punch anyone that calls me Emmy. Other favorites include Emmeranian, Emmerdoodles, and Embem.
- Birthday: 10th of October
- Gender: Cisgender female.
- Sexuality: Very sex-repulsed asexual. Romantic orientation seems to change on an hourly basis but the closest I’ve gotten to describing it is slightly gray-romantic.
- Height: 5’5”, though it changes every time I go to the doctor’s office. Once I was 5’7” and very confused about life.
- Time zone: EST for the moment. I’ll be moving next summer to a phd program yet unknown so presumably that will change.
- What time and date is it there: 16:40, 1 September.
- Average hours of sleep I get each night: That depends entirely upon whether I need to get up in the morning. Left alone, I’ll sleep about 9 hours but most of it will be in the late morning/early afternoon. If I have to get up in the morning, it’s generally about three hours a night. The joys of Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome….
- OTPs: Hmm. To be honest, I’m not much of a shippy person. I usually deflect and say Sherlock/The Work, but, when pressed, I’m mildly entertained by Johnlock, Sherstrade, and Lestrolly. Outside of Sherlock I get much shippier, and the top two are probably Sakura/Syaoran and Toya/Yukito from Cardcaptor Sakura.
- The last thing I Googled was: Trying to find a quote that I remember from Moffat about how each new Holmes adaptation tries to bring something different to the table. I couldn’t find it. If it sounds familiar to anyone, hit me up and tell me.
- First word that comes to mind: Peanuts.
- What I last said to a family member: I said goodbye and I love you to my sister when I dropped her off at the airport yesterday (she came to visit because I’ve been lonely as hell at school and we met up at COSI and went to the Sherlock Holmes exhibit and it was lovely).
- One place that makes me happy and why: Only one? Hmmmm. Alright, the coffeeshop in the town I did my undergrad degree in. It was a TINY little farming town, and I think the college made up over half the population, but there was this really great coffeeshop that I’ve never been able to find a replacement for. Super good food, basically any drink you could want, friendly baristas who would slip free cookies into my to-go box when it was obvious I was having a bad day. It was just really my go-to place during those years regardless of whether I wanted to sit in the quiet back room and study or if I wanted to eat at the counter and chat, and I had many good and memorable conversations with friends there.
- How many blankets I sleep under: Just one sheet. I only use the blanket it if’s ridiculously cold, and then it normally gets bunched up by my feet.
- Favourite beverage: Harvey Wallbanger. I’m not kidding.
- The last movie I watched in the cinema was: I think it was Fifth Estate, actually. I don’t see movies in the theatre all that often.
- Three things I can’t live without: a good research library, puppies, and caffeine.
- Something I plan on learning: Well, at the moment I’m learning all about adaptation studies for my current thesis, which is fun, but at some point I’d like to learn (and will need to during my PhD) a third language. I’m looking at Russian, currently.
- A piece of advice for all my followers: Your mental health is more important than whatever strenuous thing you might be doing right now. If you need to take a break just fucking do it.
- You have to listen to this song: It’s not, strictly speaking, a song, but this is a piano piece I have spent most of my life in love with, and is the last thing I played in recital back when I was a performing pianist. This recording is a bit old and you can tell, but it’s by far my favorite for the emotional qualities Richter draws out of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KStjdclOpzI
- My blog(s): Well, there’s this one, obviously. I also share a Sherlock blog with my beta but I don’t think either of us has posted over there in several months. And I have an abandoned blogspot (I think it’s linked on my sidebar) where I make fun of opera.
And now: rockonmyfriends, silver-boots, thevanishingtwin, coolerontheinside, nerdyholler, jocelee, profriversongarchaeologist, fleurdelivres, galtori, watcherinthewater
First official day of teaching completed :) Students seem pretty good, though I’m a little concerned at the amount of “cool” guys in section six. We shall see. This is the first time I’m teaching the same course multiple times, which is weird and has an unsettling amount of deja vu.
Anyways, now I’ve got to clean my apartment before my sister spends the night. Y’all should send me fic prompts and I might give you a ficlet in return.
Hey, do you know what I hate? More than anything else in the world?
WHEN A SCHOLARLY TEXT DOESN’T HAVE AN INDEX. I DON’T HAVE TIME TO READ ALL 417 PAGES TO FIGURE OUT WHETHER ANY OF THEM ACTUALLY PERTAIN TO MY RESEARCH AND YOUR QUIRKY CHAPTER TITLES TELL ME NOTHING ABOUT THE SUBJECT MATTER.
GRE went well! Unofficial scores put my quantitative in the 86th percentile and verbal in 96th! Have to wait for the writing scores but I’m pleased :)